Patient Relations Officer – Emirati
|Company Name:||University Hospital Sharjah|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|No. Of Vacancies:||1|
The Patient Relations Coordinator will act as an important bridge between families and a hospital. They will assist patients in obtaining services, understanding policies, making health care decisions and they will work to resolve problems and act as mediators when treatments and care is involved.
Summary of Main Duties
• Actively participates in upholding and promoting the vision and culture of University Hospital-Sharjah (UHS).
• Complies with all UHS policies and procedures and fire regulations.
• Participates in all aspects of the International Accreditation program to assist UHS attain and maintain international accreditation standards.
• Participates in commissioning assigned and associated areas.
• Support the development of and gain a sound knowledge of policies and standards of the MD’s job function to provide information, ideas and support on matters of concern to the MD.
• Coordinate communication between patients, family members, medical staff, administrative staff, or regulatory agencies.
• Interview patients or their representatives to identify problems relating to care.
• Maintain knowledge of community services and resources available to patients.
• Refer patients to appropriate health care services or resources.
• Investigate and direct patient inquiries or complaints to appropriate medical staff members and follow up to ensure satisfactory resolution.
• Explain policies, procedures, or services to patients using medical or administrative knowledge.
• Read current literature, talk with colleagues, continue education, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the field.
• Collect and report data on topics such as patient encounters and inter-institutional problems, making recommendations for change when appropriate.
• Develop and distribute newsletters, brochures, or other printed materials to share information with patients or medical staff.
• Provide consultation or training to volunteers or staff on topics such as guest relations, patients’ rights, and medical issues.
• Ensures adequate and efficient cover of staff, allocates and manages leaves within the department
• Manages staff in an effective manner and ensures a supportive environment for a team members
• Works closely with medical, nursing and other appropriate clinical, administrative and other staff and ensures the role and functions of the service are both understood easily accessible.
• Identify and share research, recommendations, or other information regarding legal liabilities, risk management, or quality of care.
• Facilitate communication between the patient or patient’s family members and the hospital.
• Obtain and exchange information, documents, advice etc that will assist in the service of the patient.
• Supervise other administrative personnel as required and directed.
• Develop effective networks.
Decision Making Authority
• Assess patients’ complaints and other relevant materials and make appropriate referrals and communications.
• Prioritize work load to meet changing and conflicting priorities in an appropriate manner.
• Determine the effectiveness of systems, processes and procedures within the Front Office, making improvements within determined parameters.
• Desirable, but not essential, tertiary qualifications in Business or equivalent.
• Computer training: MS Word, Excel, Outlook, databases, Internet.
• Knowledge of medical terminologies.
• 3-5 years experience working in the UAE or affiliated regions.
Position criteria Other Skills/Abilities
• High level of integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Highly developed interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• High level organisation skills and the ability to apply initiative, discretion and judgment.
• High level of proficiency in spoken and written Arabic and English languages.
• Well developed analytical and conceptual skills, including demonstrated ability to assimilate new concepts and information.
• Capacity to organise and prioritise own workload within established routines, policies, procedures and guidelines including the ability to adjust workloads and priorities in light of emerging issues.
• Ability to work in a team and autonomously.
• Capacity for maintaining a high degree of accuracy and quality.
• Experience in a similar position would be highly regarded.
• Good communications skills are needed.
• Emotional maturity and knowing how to handle stressful situations.
• Active listening and giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
• Social perceptiveness and being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
• Coordination and adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
• Good persuasion and negotiation skills